Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Porch

I am so thrilled to introduce you to Joann. She is a M.O.D Squad mom of two and every time she shares her heart I am inspired to love Jesus more and be a mom of purpose. Recently, she shared this story about her daughter for our home school program. If you read one blog post today, read this one! I know it will be so glad you did!


The Finish Line

by Joann

This weekend, our family celebrated the graduation of our oldest daughter Jordynn. We have crossed the finish line and we are overwhelmed with joy!

Jordynn's graduation journey began her Freshman year of high school. As a family, we decided to attend graduation each May until it was our turn. We would ask her to visualize herself walking across the stage to receive her diploma. My husband and I would visualize ourselves walking across the stage to meet her. One year I even remember grabbing the back of a church envelope to practice writing what our recording would say. Would we be funny or serious? Would we let the audience know all of our daughter's funny nicknames? Would we share congratulations for her academic accomplishments or for the growth of her tender heart? We practiced this moment for four years...we had an end picture.

For our family, parent directed education was an unexpected turn on our journey. God had called us to remove our daughter from private, Christian school at the onset of seventh grade and bring her home. This was an act of obedience and required total reliance on the Lord.

Can I tell you the most amazing part of our family's story? The Lord knit our hearts together in a new way. We fell madly in love with our daughter all over again! Was homeschooling hard? You bet! Were there disagreements? Of course! Did we love each other? Yes! Did we like each other? Most of the time. (wink!)

Crossing the finish line requires...

- Full engagement
- Intentional preparation
- Unrelenting perseverance
- Whole-hearted commitment
- and lots and lots of Love!

Moms, I encourage you to develop your end picture. I encourage you to visualize your finish line. I encourage you to practice celebrating the moment for He promises that His good work in your family will come to full completion.

"And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ [right up to the time of His return], developing [that good work] and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you." -- Philippians 1:6 AMP

This mother's heart rejoices today for the finish line is so sweet...He has completed what He started in our graduate!



When I asked Joann if I could post this for my 29lincolnavenue friends, she said, "Mom's are my passion and anytime the Lord allows me to encourage them, I'm thrilled!!" Don't you just love her! Thanks so much Joann!

Looking Forward,


Have you become a fan of 29lincolnavenue on facebook yet? You can click here and choose 'like' By doing this, each time there is a new post here, it will show up as a news item in your daily feed. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. What a timely post (after a difficult day yesterday)... thank you Joann (and Stacey) for the encouragement to keep on going and for being real about it being hard sometimes! ♥ Michelle

    ReplyDelete