Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Chair Time

Struggle.
Weary.
Tired.
Exasperated.

All synonyms for how I'm feeling lately. Six months of not enough sleep and I have become a walking shell of myself. So last week, I began singing a song the Lord put in my heart. It is an old hymn that I remember singing at church when I was a little girl. The chorus goes like this:

I need thee, oh I need thee.
Every hour I need thee.

Oh bless me now my Savior,
I come to thee.


Guess what the closing song of invitation was Sunday morning during our very contemporary worship service? "I Need Thee Every Hour.'' It was as though I was the only one in the 5,000 seat auditorium and He played it just for me. Then I heard the Lord whisper,

I see you.
You are never alone.
I am at work.
This is all part of the plan.
I have you right where I want you ---needing Me every hour.

I discovered today, that this hymn was written in June of 1872 by Annie Hawks, a housewife in Brooklyn. She wrote this beautiful prayer of dependence on the Lord while working in the kitchen.


Looking Forward,
Stacey



holy experience

5 comments:

  1. Stacey,

    This is one of my favorite hymns also. It brings me such peace and comfort. I'm so glad that God sweetly reminds us that he loves us and He is working in and through us in whatever stage of life we are currently in. Hang in there my friend. God is doing a good work in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that hymn ~ in fact, I love all the old hymns. I especially enjoy learning where they come from...the stories behind them. So full of rich truths aren't they? :)

    Blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your frustration turns the corner and you sleep well! God does love us, doesn't he!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Stacey, I love this. And I love it when God whispers to our hearts just when we need it most. Praying for you and thanking Him for you today, sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete